Today we have seen how Covid-19 has impacted the health and immunity of every human being. The global concern that has been raised because of the pandemic has indicated a sudden need for immunity boosters that can only come from proper food and diet.
“While it is crucial to mention inevitable practices such as social distancing and maintaining good hand hygiene, there are also certain ways to improve your immunity, which is paramount at this time. Individuals with certain pre-existing illnesses like diabetes, hypertension, cardio vascular disease, and respiratory issues are at a higher risk of having Covid 19 complications, it also aggravates with age as the general immunity reduces as you get older,” says Dr Charu Dutt Arora, infectious disease specialist and head, home care, Asian Institute of Medical Sciences, Faridabad. Thanks to Indian Express to cover this message from one of the eminent personality from medical domain.
This is clearly stated that the food we take is the major indicator for our overall health and immunity. The research further states that we need to follow the below guidelines for better health condition and stability.
- Eat low carbohydrate diets, as this will help control high blood sugar and pressure.
- Focus on a protein-rich diet to keep you fit.
- Consume vegetables and fruits rich in beta carotene, ascorbic acid and other essential vitamins. Certain foods like mushrooms, papaya, tomato, bell pepper and green vegetables like broccoli, spinach are also good options.
- Supplements rich in omega 3 & 6 fatty acids can also be added for your daily dose, if stepping out to buy groceries is not an option during social distancing.
- Ginger, gooseberries (amla) and turmeric are some natural immunity boosters.
- Some of these superfoods are common ingredients in Indian cuisine. There are several herbs that help in boosting immunity like garlic, Basel leaves and Black cumin. Certain seeds and nuts like sunflower seeds, Flax seed, pumpkin seeds and melon seeds are excellent sources of protein and vitamin E.
- Probiotics like yoghurt and fermented food are also excellent sources to rejuvenate the composition of gut bacteria, which is important for nutrient absorption by the body. These are good options for the older generation too.
- Avoid outside food. With the current season of preventable monsoon illnesses such as typhoid and gastroenteritis, it is advisable not to eat from outside places.
Apart from the above process, we need to be mindful with some of the other areas which has so big impact on our health and immunity. Proper sleep is very much required, specially a day’s sleep of 7-8 hrs as that can help build immunity. We also need to take proper water as that can keep us hydrated. 10-12 glass of water is perquisite to remove the toxins from our body. We also need to follow strict guidelines in terms of exercises and a regular walk and exercise can help us fight with multiple health problems. Practicing meditation can be another major angle in removing any level of stress and anxiety.
If you can follow the above steps and manage to keep yourself active all through the day, we can surely help maintain good standards in terms of health and release any level of stress and pressure.